Wednesday, June 17, 2015

One Act Play: Conflicting Personalities



Conflicting Personalities

(The scene starts with two previous high school sweethearts, Erica and James seeing each other again at a high school reunion six years later. Erica has been eyeing James from across the room. She wants to talk to him, but doesn’t know how to start the conversation. She finally starts to walk over to him as James was grabbing a cup of fruit punch.)
Erica: Hey James long time no see! (Erica hugs James awkwardly)
James: Oh hey Erica…
Erica: It’s so great to see our graduating class again. I miss a lot of people.
James: Yeah I guess so.
Erica: How have you been? It’s been almost six years since the last time I have seen you!
James: Umm... I have been good, what about yourself?
Erica: Pretty good
James: Oh okay that’s good. (James begins to slowly walk away)
Erica: Wait where are you going? We just started talking. I haven’t seen you in so long and you just decide to walk away from me? You haven’t changed one bit, now haven’t you? (Erica giggles)
James: Well you haven’t changed that much either you just got a little bit bigger.
Erica: What do you mean I have gotten a “little bit bigger”? (Erica begins to get teary eyed) That is extremely rude of you to say to your first love.
James: Erica you need to relax I’m only messing with you. Try not to be as uptight loosen up a little. (He gives her a friendly nudge on the arm) And first off what do you mean when you say that you were my first love? I mean yeah we dated and all, but it’s kind of demanding to say that I was your first love.
Erica: So were all the times you told me you loved me just a myth or something? (Now she begins to cry) I can’t believe you are telling me this.
James: Oh my god! I’m really not dealing with this. We broke up eight years ago. EIGHT YEARS AGO. I don’t understand why you are crying right now. I was just kidding once again. Why can’t you just take a joke?
Erica: I know, but it’s just rude to say that. You know I can be really sensitive sometimes. I’m sorry I know I need to loosen up. Its hard to tell if you are kidding sometimes!
James: Really I couldn’t tell?
Erica: Are you kidding me? Stop being an instigator to the situation. You are only making things worse.
James: Making things worse? What have I done? You were the one that walked over to me first I was pretty content not approaching you or talking to you tonight.  I avoided you for one reason and that was to not hear your annoying voice.
Erica: I walked up to you because I thought it was a friendly thing to do, but clearly you don’t know anything about being nice to other people considering you broke my heart. You know, I don’t think I could ever trust a man ever again all because of you.
James: We were in high school and dated for six months. I wouldn’t be surprised if you couldn’t trust a guy anymore. First off, who would even date you? You are really annoying and all you do is nag on and on.
Erica: I really hope you’re kidding when you say that. That really hurts my feelings. You just made me really upset. I can’t believe you James.
James: What did you expect when you walked over here? You are acting like a three year old. You always have to exaggerate everything.
Erica: I guess I’ll go if you want me too. Goodbye I guess.
James: Yes, I would love for you to go away!
Erica: Alright, I’ll just leave now.
James: GOODBYE!!! (James starts to walk away)
Erica: Wait James…
James: Erica goodbye.
Erica: I just wanted to say...
James: You wanted to say nothing because I’m leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment